Plumas-Sierra Offers Scholarships to Local Students
Attending a college or university in the fall? Plumas-Sierra may be able to help make it easier with scholarships. Plumas-Sierra Rural Electric Cooperative (REC) and its telecommunications subsidiary will be offering two $1,000 scholarships in a program designed to enhance the education and resulting careers of deserving rural students.
All interested students are invited and encouraged to apply. To qualify, the student or their parent/guardian’s primary residence in Plumas, Lassen, Sierra or Washoe counties must be supplied with either electric power through Plumas-Sierra REC, or telecommunications services through its subsidiary.
Fill out the application on the opposite page and return with a completed essay to Plumas-Sierra REC, Attn: Corby, 73233 State Route 70, Portola, CA 96122 by Monday, April 27, 2020.
2020 Essay Topic
As technology continues to advance positive and negative outcomes can be seen. Discuss some of the positive and negative outcomes that technology has brought about.
- Applicant must be at least a senior in high school by the fall of 2019 with no upper age limit. All students (seniors in high school, college students and graduate students) are encouraged to apply.
- Entrant must be enrolled in, or planning to enroll in, an accredited educational or training institution of his or her choice.
- To qualify for the Plumas-Sierra REC scholarship, the applicant must receive electric service from PSREC at their primary residence.
- To qualify for the Plumas-Sierra Telecommunications (PST) scholarship, the applicant must receive telecommunications services from PST at their primary residence in Lassen, Plumas, Sierra or Washoe counties.
- Scholarship funds will be paid directly to an accredited educational training institution beyond the high school level. No money will be paid directly to the recipient. Fund requests must be made within two years.
- Applications will be judged on the following: essay – 40 percent; school and community involvement – 40 percent; and scholastic achievements (grades) – 20 percent.
- Students applying for scholarships must have at least a 2.5 GPA and be in good standing. An official transcript must accompany the application.
- The student cannot be a member of the immediate family of an employee, director or manager of Plumas-Sierra REC or its subsidiaries. Previous winners are not eligible.
- All entrants must complete a typed or legibly written 500 to 1000-word essay chosen from the essay topic list. The essay portion will be judged heavily on creativity and content with consideration given to grammar and spelling.
- Applications can be obtained by calling the Plumas-Sierra office at (530) 832-4261 or (800) 555-2207. It can also be downloaded here. 2020 Citizen-Scholar Application Form (PDF)
- The winners will be invited to attend the PSREC Annual Meeting as special guests in September 2020.